Ruth Danson nee Boronow was born in 1924 in Breslau. She had a four year older brother called Klaus and her father was a dentist and her mother a pianist and music teacher. Her parents got divorced when she was eight and she lived with her mother and her brother lived with her father. They remained a close family.
The family was very assimilated and Ruth recalls a happy childhood. She was interested in Sport and used to go to the Sudpark in Breslau. Ruth recalled when things changed and that she once was very close to a rally for Hiler who visited Breslau. She saluted the Hitlergruss and hurried home. She also recalls that on Kristallnacht she saw the synagogue burn and tried to warn her friends, as her father had been arrested and sent to Buchenwald. Both her parents had siblings in the US and some papers arrived which enabled the family to travel to Southhampton, In March 1939 Ruth and her mother first went to Berlin and then to the American cruise boat Manhattan to Southampton via LeHavre. Her brother had managed to relocate to Juan le Pins in the South of France to train in the hotel business. When they arrived in Southampton, the father waited for them, as he had come to the UK by plane. Very soon after their arrival, Ruth was sent to Bunce Court in Kent. Her school was later evacuated to Wem. Grove school. Both her parents were interned on the Isle of Man.
After his release, her father joined the Pioneer Corps and managed to get his son relased from a Spanish internment camp and come to the UL in 1942. Afer her release, Ruth’s mother also came to Wem and started to take care of a five year old girl and started to teach music in the school. When Ruth finished her A levels the Blitz was ongoing, Ruth moved back to Wem and worked from there. She worked as a dressmaker near Baker street. Her brother surprised her in 1942 and brought her nylon stockings. After some time, Ruth moved to Lyndhurst Road. She met Charles Danson (Heinz Erich Danielson from Berlin) at a party and they got married in 1949. They moved in with Charles mother who had a house in Golders Green. They adopted two girls in 1955 and 1960.